Friday, June 4, 2010

Harajuku Lovers





Like many Americans, I think the first time I ever he

ard about Harajuku is from Gwen Stefani. After walking up and down the streets, it’s true, they do have some wicked style. I’ve always been a fan

of Japanese fashion- it’s cute, it’s colorful, it’s quirky. In Harajuku, you can find bows, short skirts, and leggings in all patterns and colors. The street is busy and full of tourists, but there is a distinct flair for style everywhere you turn. In addition to fashion, Harajuku is famous for it’s freshly made crepes. The sweet smell of berries and whipped cream entices your tastebuds throughout the experience. I had a savory crepe, however, with Italian salad and prosciutto. It was the freshest thing I had ever tasted, and visually appealing as well. If you like clothes, bring plenty of money. Unlike most of Japan, you can use your credit card in most places, so shopaholics beware! I was fortunate enough to find a Japanese thrift store, however, where most clothes and jewelry were under 400 yen. While it is easy to throw down thousands of yen on outfits, there is something for even the most conservative shoppers. I took some pictures with locals, and it’s clear to see a range of fashion. There are gothic outfits, babydoll gowns, Victorian style dresses, sequins…

whatever you’re into, it’s there. At any rate, every outfit is hyper stylized, exaggerating or bending gender norms. In one of my images, there is a girl with wearing an adorable pink outfit, and I noticed something very different about her eyes. According to my eye doctor, there are special contacts only sold in Japan to increase the size of your iris. It’s hard to tell in my photo, but this girl’s eyes looked like she could have been an anime character. For me, Harajuku was an amazing people watching experience. It was a place to express your own unique essence through your style. Whether or not people want to, the way you dress yourself gives people an impression of who you are. The uninhibited nature of dress in Harajuku deeply impressed me to wear what I want for me, and not for anyone else.


Click here for more info about Harajuku!


No comments:

Post a Comment